Having staff with the proper certifications is not only required by law, it is vital to having a successful school. As the school year begins, be sure to approach staff certification with the importance that it deserves.
The Center is here to serve as a resource for your school in this area as we have knowledgeable staff that can assist with certification questions or ensure your school gets to the right agency at the Michigan Department of Education. The requirements that need to be met are:
• Teacher certification (MCL 380.1233)
• Compliance with highly qualified and appropriate placement of teachers as well as paraprofessional requirements
• Administrator certification and/or continuing education requirements (MCL 380.1246 and MCL 380.1536)
• Criminal background checks (MCL 380.1230g; 380.1230; 380.1230a)
• Unprofessional conduct requirements (MCL 380.1230b)
If you have any questions or concerns regarding staff certification, please feel free to contact Lisa Wheaton at (989) 774-2100 or LWheaton@TheCenterForCharters.org. You may also visit the Center’s website for specific information regarding staff review and certification requirements.